Thursday, June 14, 2007

Hot Time Summer in the City

Last week I polled my coworkers to find out what they liked best about living here in Las Vegas. I was shocked by the overwhelming response..."the weather". I had expected that response from the transplanted Alaskans I work with but not from the rest of the gang.

Today will be the hottest day this year. Weather forecasters are predicting the tempature will soar to 112. When I recite the tempature for friends and relatives back east I get the standard rebuttal "but it's a dry heat". Stick your head in the oven and see how that feels. "A dry heat," is that somehow supposed to make me feel better about the fact that when I go outside I feel like my brain is going to explode? A dry heat, does that mean that Las Vegans don't have to endure as much in the summer due to the lack of humidity?

I wonder how people the people I recently polled will respond to that same question in about two weeks. You see most Las Vegans suffer form short term memory, by mid July you begin to hear the usual weather related comments, 'it's hotter than hell", "it's friggin' hot out"and "its too hot".

Mid July we start to defend our life here in the desert. We start to get the inevitable question, "how can you stand living in that heat?" I will tell you what I tell everyone else. "It's really not that bad you go from your air conditioned house , to your air conditioned car, to your air conditioned office or air conditioned store (repeat).

So there you have it, another (repeat) summer in the desert.

No comments:

 
Google