Monday, April 23, 2007

Only in Vegas


Driving to work this morning on the southbound I 15 a billboard on the left caught my eye. It said "Pull your head out of the asphalt". This play on words was enough to get my attention during my early Monday morning commute. I must admit this billboard piqued my curiosity.

My first reaction was wow ,this has got to be one of the those public service announcements that will soon be as popular as the "don't be a dusthole" or "call before you dig." Was the Nevada Department of Transportation behind this? How cool is this? You've got to love Vegas.

The website was listed in the lower right hand corner http://www.fixnvroads.com/ when I saw that it was a dot com address I immediately knew it wasn't the Nevada Department of Transportation. Still I had to know who was behind the billboard.

The group behind the billboard is the Nevada Highway Users Coalition (NHUC). This group was formed "to advance the rights of Nevada's residents and visitors to travel on safe, reliable public roads; for the efficient transport of goods and effective public safety; and to hold government accountable for ensuring financing is transparent, motivated by public good and dedicated to transportation purposes."

You see living in Vegas is great but ask any Las Vegan about driving in Vegas and you will get a resounding "it sucks." 10 years ago you could get anywhere in the Vegas valley in a 1/2 hour now that time has doubled. With our population exploding, we don't have the infrastructure to support it. I have met many people who won't even drive on the freeways they only use streets. Yes, these people do exist.


NHUC got my attention, I hope that they will be able to help push through new projects that will make driving the freeway a little less frustrating. I will "pull my head out of the asphalt". I will check their website often and I will contact my legislator with my concerns.


If you have a Nevada highway horror story you can contact them at tellus@fixnvroads.com and get your head out of your asphalt.

No comments:

 
Google